viernes, 29 de mayo de 2009

El Gusano

I arrived in El Gusano last night and already today Adriana, Shaw, Ian, and some of the women and I went into the town of Dolores Hildalgo to get a few things, which is why I ended up in an internet cafe. So El Gusano is completely desolate. There´s a long dirt road that runs through the community. I arrived last night to all the kids hanging out and playing basketball by the school and started to meet everyone and hear tons of new names which I´m so gonna have to write down. I´m staying with this girl Maria and her family which includes her mom, sisters, brother, uncle, and lots of cousins. Their property has a big cement wall around it with different buildings for the bathroom, the kitchen, and different rooms, so there´s a lot of open space in the middle. I´m staying with them because they are one of the 2 houses with a bathroom. There´s no sink though, or shower. So this will be interesting. Once you use the bathroom you have to put water in the toilet to flush it. I asked Teresa, the 10 year old girl there, where I was supposed to brush my teeth and she pointed to the side of the little courtyard. Then I asked where I spit and she said just on the ground. So that´s how super baller my hygiene is, at least there´s water, that´s all I´m sayin. I have my own room and a double bed and it´s pretty nice, but I woke up this morning with little mysterious bites on my legs. Looks like I´ll be using bug spray before I go to bed.

This morning in the city, I got some yummy fruit for breakfast, which Shaw heavily advised against and said I´d be sorry later, but it was fruit that had peels so I should be fine. I haven´t taken any pictures really yet, I´m first trying to get to know as many people as I can right now. That´s all. Take care everyone!

1 comentario:

Unknown dijo...

I don't even know if the kids will remember me, but tell them Maria says hi!